Clean City hosts and/or promotes various events throughout the year
Our Recycling Day event is for “harder to recycle” items and is typically held at Easton’s Beach. Our 2018 event is in the planning stages and we will post the date once it has been confirmed. Vendors/items collected in the past have included the following:
Paper shredding service (paper will be recycled): Bring up to 4 banker boxes of sensitive paper documents to be shredded. 4 boxes is the limit for each resident for shredding. No commercial businesses accepted. ONLY sensitive documents, no magazines or newspapers.
Scrap metal: Metal hangers, pots, pans, metal chains, screws, nails, any other item that is primarily made out of metal. NO items containing Freon or hazardous waste accepted in the metal container.
Rigid plastics not normally collected in the curbside recycling program: Plastic containers over 2 gallons, old recycling bins & trash barrels, plastic toys, buckets, milk crates, laundry baskets, plant pots and more.
Cooking oil: Newport Biodiesel will be accepting all vegetable cooking oil for recycling.
No Plastic bags will be accepted at this event. Please reuse them or bring your plastic grocery bags and other types of clean & dry plastic film to local retailers with recycling programs already set up (Stop & Shop, TJ Maxx, Shaws, etc).
No Styrofoam will be accepted at this event. Please reuse it or bring your Styrofoam to RIRRC at 65 Shun Pike in Johnston, RI.
Eco Depot Hazardous Waste Collections
FALL 2018 DATE: SEPTEMBER 29th 8am-1pm
These events are held at various locations throughout the state and they are run by Rhode Island Resource Recovery (RIRRC).
One event is typically held in Newport at Easton’s Beach. Visit ecodepotri.org or call (401)942-1430 x241 for more information.
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated around the world on April 22nd. Clean-up and awareness events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970.
Newport’s Earth Day Celebration is typically held during a weekend near Earth Day. Local volunteer groups plan and organize clean-ups all over the city and Clean City is able to provide pick up of bags collected in pre-arranged locations on a pre-determined day.
Interested in getting involved?
Keeping Newport Clean and Green is something we can all participate in!
Here are some easy tips:
- One of the best ways to prevent litter in Newport neighborhoods is to keep all household refuse contained. Residents are required to store all household refuse in bags, inside barrels, with tightly fitting covers.
- Since litter tends to attract more litter, keeping your property and surrounding area clean and free of debris will help it stay that way.
- Encourage your neighbors to keep their properties clean. Share information regarding Newport’s collection programs and recycling events.
- Attend one of the previously mentioned events.
- Join a local volunteer group and join Newport’s Earth Day Celebration.
- Review the updated yard waste and holiday calendar so you are aware of any delays or when to schedule special pick-ups.
- Review Clean City program information so you are familiar with proper methods of recycling and disposal.
- And, always, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!